Saturday, February 7, 2009

Training Day 6

So today was the first coach-led Saturday run. These are typically the longest runs of the week. We met at Stanford at 8am sharp and started off by warming up with a 3/4 mile jog. After the warm-up, my coach led us in stretches. After stretching, one of the coaches taught us about the run/walk strategy which they highly encourage, not only for the long Saturday runs but also for the actual event (marathon or half marathon). It allows us to maintain our momentum and endurance so we can cross the finish line - 13.1 miles is a long way (not to mention 26.2!!). We could choose from three groups this morning: 8 min run/2 min walk, 6/2, and 4/2 respectively. Being a beginner, I chose to join the 4/2 group. This means we would run 4 minutes and then walk for 2. We'd repeat this pattern until we completed the 3 miles.

So we were off.... and the first 4 minutes actually went by pretty fast and I was thinking, "Wow, this isn't so bad!". It was nice to have the 2 min walk before running again. The team captains would help keep our momentum by shouting, "You're doing great team - keep it up! We're almost done!" By the time we were on our fourth or fifth round of 4/2, I was getting tired for sure and was wondering how long we had run so far. Next thing I hear is one of the team captains shouting, "Team - see that stop sign up ahead? That's the end!". I must admit, the 3 miles went by faster than I had expected and it definitely helped talking with other teammates during the run - time passes much faster when I am not running alone. However, I was definitely ready to reach that stop sign! When we did, the coaches were there cheering all of us on. It was a nice way to end the run.

They had food and drinks for everyone at the finish - yogurt, granola, juice, coffee, water, bagels, fruit... I enjoyed the organic vanilla yogurt and granola with a few of my teammates. My legs were sore but stretching after the run helped. Kathleen, one of the honorees (the woman I ran with for a bit on Thursday) got up and read a letter from another one of the honorees, Doug. He's part of the San Jose chapter (not my chapter). He went through a long bout of chemotherapy in 2001 and is thankfully now in remission. He wanted us to know that whenever we want to give up, feel too tired or sore and think we can't do this anymore, to think about those (like him) that go through painful and exhausting rounds of chemotherapy. He said there is NO training for that. He said that none of the pain or exhaustion we'll endure during our training is close to the pain and exhaustion caused from fighting cancer and going through chemotherapy.

Fortunately, for Doug and his family, he's alive today to tell his story but not everyone is so lucky. He also wanted to thank each and every one of us for doing what we are doing - he said that it's participants from Team in Training (raising money for cancer research and patient services) that helped him battle his fight and stabilize into remission where he lives today. Hearing this was pretty powerful and makes me realize again 1) how truly blessed I am to have my good health 2) have the opportunity to run in a half marathon and raise money to find a cure and 3) that tomorrows are not promised to any of us - and we really should live each day as if it is our last...

No comments:

Post a Comment