Thursday, February 12, 2009

Training Day 11

So here is an update on my knees. They are not getting better. Today I tried to run. I went down to Sawyer Camp trail at the Crystal Springs reservoir and after running for just a few seconds, I was in a lot of pain. There was no way I could do it. So I ended up walking 2 miles which was still uncomfortable but I did it, although I barely made it back to my car.

It seems that the walk today made my knees worse. Throughout the day the pain seemed to get worse. I started taking Advil today and icing them (I know I should've started icing them days ago!). I know they are definitely inflamed. I haven't gone to get a second opinion on the insoles because I won't be able to run on the treadmill (this is what they have you do so they can see how your feet land when you run).

Unless there is a dramatic improvement between now and Saturday, there is no way I'll be able to do the timed 5K run which I am super bummed about. My sister Adria, who is an avid runner and will also be running Ave of the Giants with me, suggests that I continue my cardio as long as the elliptical machine isn't causing me pain or discomfort. She said that once my knees heal (hopefully sooner than later!), I can get back into the running. I am just bummed because I know this is setting me back - I missed Tuesday's run at the track, wasn't able to run today, and will more than likely not be able to run on Saturday. So frustrating!!!

I just emailed my coach to see what he suggests. I am thinking that I'll see a doctor next week if my knees don't feel a lot better by then. Tomorrow is a scheduled "rest" day which is exactly what I plan to do. I will continue icing my knees and taking anti-inflammatory meds which will hopefully help. Sigh......

No comments:

Post a Comment